Saturday, October 16th was a perfect day for getting all the last minute yard and garden clean-up done. Cold temperatures were forcasted so it was time to get all the carrots and potatoes out of the ground for the year.
The boys had a blast digging carrots. I grew quite a few because my kids LOVE them both raw and cooked. My plan and intention was to freeze them.
I thought the bean towers were done, but there were still green beans out there, so we got in one last picking before we took the towers down.
Just for the fun of it we grew decorative pumpkins - they did great and did not need any attention at all, I just planted the plant and off they went!
I think this is the first year that I can honestly say my garden was completely cleaned out before the frost. It was a good feeling!
After we came inside, I was ready to tackle the freezing of all these carrots. I had washed and peeled a bunch, and no sooner did I start slicing them for blanching, I cut my thumb:-( I had to go to the ER and get it glued together! Jeremy and the boys were hard at work washing carrots when I got back:-) We put them all in bags to freeze at a later date, only to find out that carrots have a really long shelf life and will keep in the fridge for months - Hooray we don't need to freeze them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment