My flight was uneventful, I read for a while, had dinner, and then went to sleep. I didn't sleep as long as I would have liked, only about 2 1/2 hours, but when I woke up, I couldn't go back to sleep. I watched a movie, read some more and had breakfast. My plane landed at 12:30pm on Friday.
I was not as tired as I thought I would be - I think part of it was just the excitement of finally being there and getting to spend time with Jeremy.
He was there at the airport waiting for me as soon as I got through customs! Then I got to experience the Tube system of London. His flat is about an 1 1/2 hour tube ride away from the airport. You can take a car or taxi, but you really don't get there any faster.
Us on the Tube after getting off the plane.
So the picture that is nice and clear, has me talking,
and then one where we both look good, is a little fuzzy. Oh well :-)
After we got back to the flat and unpacked a little, we walked 20 minutes down to Camden, where Jeremy lived for the first month he was in London. Along the way we saw a couple of neat things, one was a DIY store that Jeremy has been talking about, they have gotten a lot of odds and ends things for the flat here.
This was a crazy store. You could hardly walk down the aisles there was so much stuff in this little space. I asked Jeremy if the owner knew where things were in the store, and he assured me that he did! Everything from paint, cleaning products, ice cube trays light-bulbs, to luggage could be purchased here!
Things hanging from the floor joists, right above your head.
Just before we got to Camden we saw a huge store front with old sewing machine's displayed, my picture doesn't do it justice!
Once we got to Camden we walked all around the Horse Tunnel Market. They have a huge area of old horse stable and tunnels, that have been converted into shops. Some of the shops are permanent enough that they can just close the stall doors, others are under tents and are taken down every day. There is TONS of shopping down there.
After walking around for a couple hours we met up with some of his co-workers at a Pub for dinner. It was fun to be able to meet the people he has been working with and talking about all these months.
When dinner was done, it was still light out, so we went out walking again to a park that Jeremy found while running.
On our way we found the first
iconic red telephone booth that I had seen!
Must take a picture:-)
Hampstead Heath is a beautiful park and quite hilly at that. There are paved walking trails through grass and woods. When you get to the top you have a really pretty view of downtown London. It was twilight and a little hazy when we were there, so some of the pictures were not the greatest, but it was still beautiful!
This tree looked like the trunk had been swallowed by the ground.
The branches started a foot off the ground
AND there was a whole it in trunk.
AND there was a whole it in trunk.
Perfect first day in London with many more to come!
It was great to go and be apart of Jeremy's 'world'!




Thanks for sharing Rachel! What a fun trip, so glad you were able to go there and spend some time with Jeremy and get to explore London!
ReplyDeletePaula