Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Before and After

 Well this quick little painting project of the exterior of our house became an all summer project! Not because it really took that long, but because we were dealing with elements beyond our control, like rain, wind, cottonwood tree fuzzies, dust and lack of time at the appropriate time:-)

This whole project started in May, our house really needed to be painted, but first we had a lot of peeling paint that had to be taken care of. Every time I thought I might be done scraping, more chips of paint would start coming off! This was really frustrating.  We tried sanders, wire brushes in different forms and just a plain old putty knives, but nothing was working well enough to call it a success.  I read about a product that would help seal the cracks and stop anymore paint from peeling, that sounded like just the thing we needed. After a quick consult with my uncle who is a painter, we determined it should work.  The stuff was the consistency of Elmer's glue, if not a little thicker!  But it did the trick, it went on white and then dried kind of opaque and gave me a wonderful surface to adhere my new paint to.

Shortly there after I was able to get my first coat of paint on which drastically changed the look of the house!  We went with a navy blue color for the house with white trim. I love it!!  The part that took all summer was getting the second coat on the house. I was starting to think I wasn't going to get the second coat on before winter, which wouldn't have been good!  A couple weeks ago, I was finally able to get the second coat on, so we don't have to worry about my new paint job being damaged by the winter.

Before:

After: 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. ooo... I LOVE it. That looks fabulous. I also like the little extra green space you created by sodding the corner there. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so ambitious, Rachel. Good idea to change the address numbers to white - much easier to see. Our house is slowly getting more and more settled. Today's project was "mommy's special room." you have to come see it soon! - Naomi

    ReplyDelete